View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
You're making an argument about the quality of their music (ie, that the boomers could have pumped N-Sync to the level of Beatle-mania).
Yes, I'm making an argument about the quality of their music -- their popularity is beyond dispute.

1) They were immensely popular for reasons other than the quality of their music; and 2) They were immensely popular in the right generation.

These two factors explain a lot of their lasting power, imo.

But irrespective of their popularity -- their music isn't any better than a lot of other folks, their innovations don't seem particular innovative to me, and their lyrics make the Beastie Boys look like poetic genius.

That's not to say that 'Shake it up Baby' isn't a jiggy tune or that Abbey Road (as previously mentioned) isn't a helluva good album....I'm saying the Beatles were good, they just weren't all that great.