View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #451
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Holy crap, what a strawman.
Perhaps. But I can't help but noticing that the politicization of this issue goes both ways. And actually the politicization seems HARDER in the "skeptical" direction.... Specificlly, Republican's in the US are recently becoming much more skeptical of global warming. Is THAT because of recent scientific discoveries in the field? I don't know.. but an awful lot of it (at least the stuff that is posted on site's like this) seems to be based on hack blog reports. Perhaps that is BECAUSE the warming devotees have cornered the established traditional centers of research... but if that is the case then surely this hold is temporary, and more serious academic research will be forthcoming. Personally, I recognize that I am not enough of an expert in this field to sort the wheat from the chaff. And while I will grant that it is possible for groupthink to suppress correct analysis that goes against the prevailing view... I think that effect is going to be temporary. I think the scientific method wins out in the end.

but going back to skepticism amongst conservatives about global warming.... I bet if you performed a chow test (on the data of conservative support for the basic premise of man-made global warming) from the time period around Al Gore's big dog and pony show (and nobel prize) you could identify a statistical shift in opinions. Or stated otherwise, once gore became the spokesperson for global warming, republicans stopped believing in it.

If true....does that speak to the politicization of the global warming crowd? or the skeptics crowd? or both?

Last edited by mcsluggo; 12-01-2009 at 12:48 PM.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote