View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Gee, I must be missing out on all this "board moderation". What heavy patrolling are you speaking of? When I signed up six years ago, established posters would try to curtail too many new threads. DJ even created a posting restriction for new members. This is nothing new.

For the MOST part, the big threads get big because lots of people post in them....not because a bunch of threads are being merged, or because people are being forced to post in them.

I think its much more likely that some of our older posters don't really post a ton of content anymore - unless its to bitch about the lack of threads that they aren't creating in the first place. (I don't meant that in a bad way, I could start a long list of posters I really miss!).

And I'm all for new threads, but if this one weren't so marginal to begin with, it would've stayed on topic.

Edited to add: I love everyone and I don't think Dirk will average 27+ a game.
No, it's not necessarily about moderators moving threads or anything else. However, when the site is down as far as traffic and content go, things aren't helped when members or moderators try to further stifle the creation of new topics/threads. Some people are reluctant to start new threads because they don't want someone to jump down their throat. With traffic and content down, it's just not a good idea to bully others into not starting new threads. The site needs quality content. Does that mean that there will occasionally be a thread started that isn't worthy? Sure. However, they will die a quick death. This forum doesn't have the same types of issues that it had 4-5 years ago. The issues are quite the opposite.

As for whether or not this thread would have stayed on topic, how the hell would anyone know when the second post in the thread is attacking the merit of the thread?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote