View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
One bullet that I think we have in the gun is that we have a pretty big sophomore class that never saw the field last year, due to injury. I am really interested in seeing what the Brewster kid can do on the o-line. I am *very* interested in seeing what the Hodge kid from TCU brings to the table. He is supposed to be a special teams maven, but he also might be that hybrid LB/safety that could wreak all kinds of havoc in the defensive backfield. After finiding out how good that TCU program really is, I'm beyond excited to see what Hodge does. And then you have the two Williams kids. And of course Victor Butler, who actually did play as a rookie and show some flashes of promise.

That's a good start. Yes, I would like to see OL addressed prominently in the draft. But if there is a playmaker at the safety position available where we draft in the first, I'm all over that. That's a missing link on our defense, I think. I like Sensabaugh, but I'm not really buying what Hamlin is selling.

Oh, and put me down as a "yes" on Marshall. He's worth the headache.
You are right about the sophomore class, but they were also pretty questionable picks and the draft in general was considered to be our worst in quite a while. With that said, I am also pretty excited to see what Brewster and the two Williams' guys have, but I don't expect a ton from the others. Here is me hoping obviously, but I am just being honest.

I am right there with you on Sensabaugh - he helped us a ton during the year but I would like to see someone with better cover skills at FS.

I would also consider moving Scandrick to the other CB spot and put Newman in Scandrick's spot. I only say that because I am SOOOO tired of his lack of aggression in jumping routes and in his inability to make big plays. He is rather solid, don't get me wrong, but man - anyone here that watches him play knows what I am talking about. He simply doesn't WANT the ball. I want another Jenkins and, while I don't know if Scandrick can become that, I think his youth and playing next to Mike could give him a great chance at developing that swagger... Also, this could allow Newman to move into the PR spot to give us a boost there since he isn't playing SUCH an important role, (though that is obviously still a big defensive role).

I really am subscribing to the talent that stepped up getting quite a bit better. Bennett has no where to go but up and has all of the tools. Guys like Jenkins and Scandrick ARE going to improve as they are FAR from their prime. Spencer has become a true beast and Ratliff is incredibly talented, (1st team All-Pro after all). Ware is Ware - enough said. Free AND Phillips both have great confidence heading into next year. Really, what are the age concerns on the defense? Brooking and Newman are the oldest right? Both were more than solid.

The offense, as stated before, has a lot of question marks. We need to pick a starting RB and try to give that person the majority of the carries. I hate this three-headed monster. I think you pick a starter and give the backup some carries, (15-20 carries for RB1 and 5-10 for RB2). The third RB is for an injury so stop stealing carries away from someone as talented as Jones so he can be happy. Give Felix a chance to be a feature back - that would be my opinion. If he proves too injury prone, fine, adapt and possibly go back to where we were. I would just love to see if he could be a poor man's Chris Johnson with his playmaking ability were he to get those elusive 20 carries. I think it would just give us the best chance for back-breaking plays, (ala Playoff game vs. Philly).

I think the offense also needs to either trade Roy or use him, period. No more BS... If he refuses to catch the ball and focus on making plays, get rid of him. I never imagined he would be this ineffective - I don't think anyone did. I would absolutely LOVE to have Brandon Marshall here and would give up our #1 plus some to get him. It would be pretty nice to have Miles, Roy, Marshall, and Witten on the field with Felix in the backfield. If you have to ship Roy out to keep good chemistry on the field, so be it, but I would prefer we don't do what the Rangers had to do in order to get Harden, (give up a SP to get a better SP - how about we keep both). Of course that is COMPLETELY a pipe dream because we can't have that much money tied up in the receiving corps. Hell, just the money that Roy makes is gonna make it hard to give Miles what he will be asking for.

Finally, again, obviously the OL needs work. I just don't know what to do there. You could move Free to LT and Davis to RT, (something many would HATE - but he is rather capable), and then sign a starting Guard or two. You could do the easy thing and keep the line JUST like it is, minus Kosier, who could be replaced with Free possibly, (it wouldn't be the first time a T has moved to G - see Davis), to get the best 5 on the field. We could also sign the best G available in FA and keep Free on the sidelines improving for one more year. So many options here - but improvement is absolutely needed.

The BIG piece is K - we HAVE to do something there, (who would have thought a year ago that we would have THIS problem). Rackers and Sebastian are FAs - but they likely both get signed quickly. Obviously this will need to be fixed heading into the season though. Maybe they tell Buehler to focus on kicking field goals all off season and to come in ready to hold the job down and maybe he does. Maybe Folk comes back without his issues. But again, this MUST be fixed.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-19-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote