View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #59
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Talk about missing the point -- I'm sure Arenas could kill someone with a coconut too, but that doesn't mean having a coconut in his locker is the same as a freaking firearm. There is ZERO reason for a professional athlete to carry a weapon to a game or an arena in general. ZERO. Even if he had a permit for it I would still suspend that idiot for life without possibility of reconsideration.

Sit back and think about it for a second -- take all of your preconceptions about the pressure of being a highly recognizable athlete out of the conversation. The guy is supposed to be a role model for kids and he BROUGHT FOUR GUNS WITH HIM TO A BASKETBALL GAME. That is absolutel ridiculous and he is extremely fortunate to have any chance at playing in the league ever again. Especially considering he's still going to be making $20M per year.
I'm pretty sure he isn't being punished as part of an evaluation on whether there are reasons for a player to bring guns to a game. He's being punished as part of an evaluation on whether players should follow the league's "No Guns Allowed" policy. The role model argument is fair to make as an aside, but I think you're blurring the reasons for his punishment with the lesson you want everyone to take away.

By analogy, when your local bank bars you from ever setting foot on the premises again because you waved around an empty handgun, it isn't because soccer moms/dads set a horrible example by bringing weapons to do their banking. It's because the bank has a large "NO HANDGUNS ALLOWED" sign and they really want everyone to follow it under all circumstances.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote