View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #460
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbla...l_blazers.html

Security at the AAC

Quote:
When loving the Trail Blazers' Rudy Fernandez goes too far: A security breach in Dallas
By Jason Quick, The Oregonian
February 02, 2010, 4:30PM
With the NBA’s All-Star Weekend headed to Dallas on Feb.12-14, let’s hope the Mavericks and the NBA have a better handle on security than they did Saturday when the Trail Blazers were in town.

During a timeout with 41 seconds left in regulation, two women walked onto the court and into the Trail Blazers huddle. One woman wrapped her arms around the waist of Blazers guard Rudy Fernandez from behind. Fernandez, who was not in the game but focused on the plays being diagrammed by coach Nate McMillan, was stunned.

“I was surprised,’’ Fernandez said. “I was listening to the coach on the bench and behind me, she touches me and says, ‘Rudy, I love you. Nice to meet you. Good game.’

“I said, ‘What?’’’

Blazers guard Jerryd Bayless, who was on the perimeter of the huddle, said he saw the whole event transpire.

“They were drunk, obviously,’’ Bayless said. “I was actually close to Rudy, but when I saw them coming, and once they got onto the court, I stepped back.’’

The women were ushered away from the huddle, and amazingly allowed to return to their courtside seats under the basket and watch the remainder of the game, which went to overtime.

McMillan said he hadn’t heard of the incident, but was wide-eyed when told the details on Tuesday.

“What about security?’’ McMillan asked. “That’s not good. I mean, really. If they came out on the floor ...’’

Blazers security guard Bob Hanis was at the game, but was standing post behind the Blazers bench and was unable to reach the pair before the one woman touched Fernandez. The women came from underneath the basket.

Mavericks spokesperson Sarah Melton said the team was not aware of the incident.

Now keep in mind, this is the same Dallas security staff that is annoyingly overbearing. No team checks media credentials as doggedly as the Mavericks and no team’s secruity staff makes it harder for scouts and media to gain access to their seats.

In fact, during a late-game timeout on Saturday, Blazers assistant Monty Williams had to use the restroom, but a security guard tried to deny his access to the hallway leading to the locker rooms. Williams twice had to explain that he was an assistant coach, finally waving off the guard and proceeding to the restroom.

Williams was using the nearest hallway - an entrance at midcourt used by the Mavericks. Opposing teams have a tunnel to reach the locker room hallways on the far end of the arena from their bench.

“Security is one thing, and common sense is another,’’ Williams said. “I am telling the guy, with a notebook in my hand, that I am a coach and I have to use the restroom. And he’s coming up with, like, protocol.’’

When he tried to return to the court via the same route, Williams said he encountered a wall of security.

“They must have walkie-talkied everyone,’’ Williams said. “They had it like Fort Knox. So I had to walk all the way around. I was like, fine, I don’t want to break any rules ...’’

In the Blazers’ December visit to Dallas, assistant Bill Bayno said he was also denied passage to the locker rooms by what he called a “belligerent and arrogant” police officer. Eventually, Bayno took a detour around the court to the Blazers locker room.

“They were blocking fans, and I said I’m not a fan, I’m a coach of the Blazers,’’ Bayno said. “And he just looked at me and screamed at me: ‘You wait right there; Dallas goes first!’’’

Maybe events like Saturday’s Rudy-lovefest wouldn’t happen if the security staff was more focused on bizarre fans trying to get to the players rather than on the people who are trying to do their jobs.

The Feb. 14 All-Star Game will not be in the Mavericks’ American Airlines Center; it is being held at Cowboys Stadium.

Saturday’s incident with Fernandez ended up being a light moment. Fernandez said his teammates razed him on the bench, and later, he found time to laugh about it. But he also admitted that he couldn’t help but think of tennis star Monica Seles, who was stabbed by a spectator in a 1993 tournament in Hamburg, Germany.

“That would be scary,’’ Fernandez said. “This is the first time anything like this has happened.’’

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote