View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #30
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I would agree, using a point system has strong merit.

It appears we have the same thought process, just different ways of communicating it.

I'm of the opinion that you base your board on a variety of topics.

Each having it's own priority. Once you've made your initial list of top 500 players, then you begin to reshuffle those players based on the rest of the criteria.

What's the players mental make-up?
What's the players Character?
What's the intel that you've uncovered from his teammates?
What's the intel from his coaches?
What's his positives?
What's his negatives?
What's his upside?
What's the potential pitfalls?
How does he fit in with the vision of our coach today?
How does his personality mesh with our teams?
What are his views on life and other stuff?
How does his skill set/position fit in with our teams needs for today and in the future?

The list goes on and on.

Again, I would make a list and rate them from 1-500 using information that answers these questions. Basically doing all my homework before the final exam on Draft day.

I would also do my best to properly identify the gaps from one player to another.

For example, using your system of assigning a point value. If my #50 player had 400 points of more value than the #51 player...while the #51 player only had 2 points more value than the #52 player. Then on draft day it's a bit more effecient to make trade deals based on numbers and avoiding draft day emotions.

It's all about playing the odds, and with a well defined board system, you give the organization a possibility of success.

This also can help a team to find a Zach Thomas, who may not be of ideal size/speed...but witht he football intangables, may have a higher value and thus give you the opportunity to draft him when he is available at where you ranked him.

It also would keep a Quincy Carter from being a reach.

My point on 'Need based' , that some folks put toooo much value/weight in team need. Yes it's important and should be a factor on draft research decision, but should not be an overwhelming factor that a team passes up on a better player.

Hopefully the Cowboys Scouting department has done what they needed to do, in order for the Cowboys Draft Day braintrust to pick the best valued players when their turn comes up.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote