View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Rumor has it right now they're talking to Houston about McGrady, and would unload Jeffries in such a deal (along with their 1st round pick Jordan Hill, a 2012 first-rounder, and giving Houston the right to swap 2011 first round picks). So they would gain $9.5MM in cap room for next year, at a cost of further mortgaging their future building blocks...with no guarantees that anyone will sign with them in the offseason.

In my amateur GM fantasy world, if I'm Donnie Nelson, I pick up the phone and offer the Knicks this trade:

Carroll
Thomas
Barea

for

Jeffries
Hill
Cash
future 1st

Knicks gain $5.2MM in 2010 cap room. Mavs pick up a prospect in Hill, a solid if overpaid defender in Jeffries, a future 1st...and, by getting rid of Carroll's contract, their total dollar spend is roughly the same, especially if the Knicks kick in some cash.

Also, Jeffries is a 2011 expiring, and Hill is a team option for 2011 and 2012. Both more valuable than Carroll's contract in making trades or S&Ts work.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote