View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #179
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaadverse View Post
I received a very good education in a class of 50+ primarily because the nuns installed discipline and the parents were aware and agreed with it. We spend more per student than many countries that are kicking our ass in math and science proficiency.
I agree with discipline, but that is an education issue, and not one of medical. And even if all of this is true -- you are the exception, and not the norm. In normal situations, around most of the country -- more money equals higher scores. The schools in Plano score higher on average than the schools in Dallas, etc. The expectations are higher, the money is there, and the scores are there. Much like in the medical field. Presently in Texas it is exactly the same way. You can get basic life saving medical at any hospital. You can not pay the bill, and they cannot touch your credit or anything else. Basic lifesaving is required by all hospitals in the state of Texas. I know because I worked for a county hospital which turned into a private hospital, and I had to go through all the differing state rules. If they see our ER, we have to stabilize. If they come in with the flu, and are not deathly ill yet, then they better have insurance, medicaid, medicare, or proof of the ability to pay. If not, then they wait till the county clinic opens the next day.

They can get life saving care. They just don't get the nicer, right now care, unless they have the ability to pay.

Quote:
Nonsense. The BS additional overhead in administration adds nothing to care levels because most care people get in their life is not administered by a Doctor. They don't take your blood pressure, shoot the xrays, do the blood work etc...Now we have a system so fractured and messed up because after laws were passed that forced a series of procedures to be offered at the same price with no allowance for risk factors adjustments were made elsewhere.

Most dental plans still work like medical insurance used to. People without it will still go in for the cleanings and if you have a toothache likewise. You might have straighter or more cosmetically pleasing chompers but routine care is still out of pocket affordable. Dentists are still competing for my business. I have Dental insurance but the choices I have compared to my PPO are huge compared to my PPO. I probably see 5 pieces of junk mail per week because the business from uninsured is still substantial and I can haul ass with my insured business easily.
I know at the hospital where I work, we spend lots of money on marketing. We are outside the Metroplex, but close enough that many of our clients go to the bigger hospitals there. We have to keep our numbers up above the ones in the Metroplex in order to get all the "extras" headed our way, instead of going somewhere else. While doing this we have to limit indigent care because we just do not have the beds.

One thing I will tell you though. Insurance has screwed up the system bad. My mother went to the dentist without insurance. She had her work done for $1200. I needed the same thing done, I go to the same dentist - only I have dental insurance. My insurance would pay $2800 for this procedure. So he bills me $2800 - only my insurance only pays 50%. So for $200 more dollars than she paid, for exactly the same procedure -- I pay for dental insurance as well.

Those who pay for insurance -- pay extra to make up for those who don't have it.

I work in the medical field, and see this all the time.

The system may be broke, but it is still based on $$$$ and who has the ability to pay.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote