View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #139
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not caught up in minutes. I'm caught up in putting together a functional team. And this team will not succeed with a below average (defensively) undersized center next to Dirk.

There is no need for a defensive player of the year at center. This team was VERY good defensively with a Damp/Diop combo. There's no reason to completely punt on the idea of defending the paint and protecting the rim just because you have to cover up for one or more defensively subpar players.

Al Jefferson's a really nice player, but he's going to have to play next to a quality defensive player at either C or PF to really be successful.

And this of course leads to my other point in this debate, which is that focusing on low post scoring, in a vacuum, is dumb. Focus on efficient scoring, no matter where it comes from.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-26-2010 at 05:08 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote