View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #447
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
no, i'm not kidding, obviously you're thinking of iggy from a couple years ago and not todays iggy, he rarely slashes and cuts to the basket anymore, all he does is jack up jumpers and three pointers. look at his three point attempts compared free throw attempts and you'll see that. he led the league in minutes played last season and his numbers still weren't that good. he's a great defender.... when he feels like getting motivated to play hard. even 76ers fans know he's overrated and want him shipped out of town and know he makes WAY more money than he's worth, why should we have to take on their damaged goods?
I'll readily admit that I did not watch Iggy play much last year and had not heard those concerns about his work ethic, and so if his attitude is really THAT much of a problem, then perhaps you're right. However, I still feel that his skillset alone would make him a valuable addition (or at least a better fit than Caron.) Honestly I think Iggy at 80% is probably a better fit for the Mavs than Caron at 100%. I also know that a change in setting can often do wonders a player's temperament, and Iguodala is a high enough level talent that I would be willing to roll the dice on him any day.

I will agree that he makes more money than he's worth. He was never a max-level player, but still got a max level contract anyway. That's just the way the NBA works. Here's the thing though; the fact that so many guys are overpaid is really the only asset the Mavs have to work with (hell, the only reason the Mavs have any hopes of doing something big this summer is because they overpaid Damp so much) The fact that he's overpaid is the only reason the Mavs would have any realistic chance of getting him (without giving up too much). If the Mavs are going to stay competitive, they're probably going to have to take on at least one really awful contract. Now you can argue whether or not Iggy is the kind of player who's worth taking on a bad contract, but I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find a guy that the Mavs have a realistic shot at getting that isn't overpaid.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote