View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #18
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Those numbers are just wrong. The new Pac-10 with its amazing TV deal will be the most profitable conference per school in the country. Take anything you read on an Aggie message board with a grain of salt.
What kind of numbers are being rumored? And to be fair, that's not an article just from a fan. It's actually a journalist, however biased he may be. I guess my point is that, with Texas' clout, they could join a conference with an already superior TV deal (such as the SEC), and only enhance it. Let's say Pac-10 was $50MM and it's now going to be $300MM. Well the SEC is already $200MM. Adding UT and whatever other schools the SEC would want and the Texas legislature wouldn't get its panties in a twist over would have surpassed anything the Pac-10 will be putting together.

Quote:
Yes, I mean visit, but that's what you need to focus on when talking about Texas boosters. We're not an SEC school--even though it's in the state of Texas, it's a different kind of person.
I'm not sure what that means.

Quote:
The last sentence is the only reason why I think it might be a good idea. It definitely could benefit them to get out of Texas's shadow. Best conference? Yeah, the SEC has won the last several BCS titles. But as soon as Texas, OU, OSU, and Tech go to the Pac-10, the SEC is no longer the best conference top to bottom.
The Pac-10 will definitely improve with the move. UT, OU are legitimate contenders. Oregon looks on the up. But USC is screwed (for now). Who else are you seeing as rivals to UGA, Bama, Florida, LSU? Auburn's looking up. Hell, Arkansas has a decent chance as a darkhorse this year. And let's not overlook that the SEC will likely make a move of some sort as well. Adding Florida State, Clemson, Miami, WVU, Virginia Tech, A&M, Missouri, OU...all of those rumors have been out there. But let's just say that SEC teams have fared pretty darn well versus Big12/Pac10 teams the last few years.

Quote:
The distance thing is way overhyped. The new Pac-10 would likely involve two games against the teams in the other division (i.e., the "West Coast" teams). Every other game would be against the current Big XII teams, Arizona, and ASU. None of those schools are any farther away on average than most of the SEC schools. The once-a-year trip to Oregon or Washington isn't that much more burdensome than having to go to South Carolina or Gainesville. A bit farther, yes, but not ridiculously so.
South Carolina is roughly the same distance as ASU would be. That would be the farthest SEC game for UT. But I see what you're saying. I still think it'll add an incredible burden on the schedules of the student athletes for all sports.

Quote:
As for "the only Texas team in the SEC," that's overhype too. Aggies seem to think it will help recruiting--I've got news for them: bad ass high school recruits aren't going to be tripping over themselves to go play for a middle-of-the-pack SEC team. A&M will recruit better once they start winning--which conference they play in doesn't make much difference. Besides, A&M's problem isn't really recruiting anyway. They recruit fine. They're never going to recruit on the level of Texas and OU, but they recruit on average just as well as say, your Arkansas program, and yet when you all played in the fall, you guys totally waxed them.--
I do think it'll help. They've been DECENT in recruiting. But nothing like UT. And there's no reason they shouldn't recruit better than OU, which they haven't. Coaching, to me, is their biggest problem of late.

I just think that, with consistent challenges every week (which is a huge characteristic of SEC play), A&M will get better. I think that's what's happened with Arkansas and I can see some similarities.

I just really wish A&M, UT, OU, and OSU would have landed in the SEC. It would have been great geographically, restored old rivalries while maintaining the current ones, and resulted in an unprecedented TV deal.