View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #904
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I guess I wonder when do they actually start figuring out the numbers and such? If it's right at the end of the Finals and such, then ok I guess I understand...but if they just take a mini-vacation and meet up again at a later date, that's where the dead time is created.

I just don't like that week in between, and I REALLY dislike the time-frame for a team to decide whether or not they wanna make an offer for their restricted free agent.
The NBA fiscal year runs from July 1-June 30. This is for IRS reportiing and audit purposes for use in obtaining loans, new ownerships, and most importantly CBA negotiations. I'm sure these guys sit around the clock auditing the numbers the computers spit out come close of business on June 30. There were some years where they ran into problems and had to delay the signings back to as far as the 15th of July. I'm sure they take a mini vacation either between the end of the finals and draft day and or draft day and the 30th of June....there really isn't much you can do until all the final figures are accounted for. I mean the NBA Store in NY or online is not going to close down for 2 weeks. They have to market the draft and Finals apparel and memorabilia.

I don't recall any player reneging on a verbal commitment. Then again, players/agents are smart enough not to allow emotion to determine a verbal commit, especially if they have several team meetings. That's just not the smart way to do business. Several years ago, Antonio McDyess was reportedly locked away at the Pepsi Center with Nugget brass, Suns, Kidd, Chapman were in a limo just outside the Pepsi Center and were not allowed inside. McDyess signed the max contract, but was not sure of it. Does this happen all the time, no, the Nuggets just took advantage of an unknowing McDyess. I think everything's just so out in the open right now, you have the players side and the team's side. For the team to force an answer these days, would have severe repercussions when other agent's deal with that team. You develop a certain reputation and it spreads like wildfire, team's are very careful in coercing verbal commits.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote