View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #921
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
My current biggest fear re: Dallas ability to get Gortat (if they still want him) is that Orlando does something retarded like trading for Arenas (in light of rumors that have the Magic exploring that possibility). I can't believe any team in the NBA would take on Gilbert's contract unless they were forced to do so at gunpoint (cue nervous laughter), but really I don't know if there's a GM in the league who has a richer recent history than Otis of earmarking overly large chunks of his team's budget for players who operate at something less than an all-star level, so you never know.

Of course, even if Orlando is angling for a deal with Washington, there's always the possibility that the Mavs could get in on it by offering the Wizards something they'd see as having more value than Gortat. I guess we'll see what happens with that. Also looking forward to the db.com three-way discussion they teased. Based on other comments I'd seen D.Lord make I'm thinking it'll involve Hedo.
Right on with Hedo. He clearly was a better fit for Orlando than VC. It'd be interesting to see how that would play out.

Arenas is the player I've been hearing for Orlando in trade news. It's still possible Dallas could jump in on that in some form or fashion, it'd be a little more tricky but I'm sure it'd work. It really doesn't make sense to me why they'd take the risk with going for him. He is an unknown as a whole, at least with Hedu you know what you're getting or what you could potentially get.

Dallas and probably Houston were the big players last summer for Gortat and we "won" but Otis was dumb and kept him and basically did nothing with him. Now they drafted Orton, a project who could still be a factor going forward. Add to that the speculation they wanna go after Brad Miller...Gortat is going to be traded one way or another. If the market wasn't that strong last year for him and we won, he didn't do anything to really increase his value over the course of the year. So even if it's a buyer's market this summer, he still might not be a big player in the situation.
I think Otis knew back last summer it was a mistake to re-up with Gortat but he did it anyways, maybe he didn't feel comfortable with the options that would be left if he was coming to Dallas. Now he's had a full year, has Orton and potentially his pick of the litter (with Miller being the choice).

It depends on if the front office still loves Gortat or not. I'm in agreement with you and the bigs at db.com that Orlando can't be asking for an arm and a leg for Gortat.

It looks like Al Jefferson is definitely in the mix as well
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=5340850

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-29-2010 at 07:15 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote