View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #930
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First off, is that actually a plan they want to implement on a major basis: the backup 5 playing WITH Howard?
As a general rule I just think it makes sense to try to construct your roster in such a way that you can mix and match pieces in a lot of different ways, else you end up playing (and paying) guys who are good enough to get 24 mpg for only half that.

Quote:
I think it definitely hinders them on a defensive aspect though with Miller...he is probably as done as you can be when it comes to defense outside of 8 feet from the basket, if any kind of lateral movement is required, good luck.
No arguments here. He's limited defensively. I'd expect the Howard/Miller pairing to be used primarily against less offensively gifted frontcourts, and for Miller to guard whichever player was less mobile.

Quote:
I would say that Orlando has the long-range game set
I may not have been clear enough on that point. I was referring to Miller's passing out of the high post to guys moving without the basketball rather than to his ability to shoot the three.

Quote:
I just think the offense changes entirely with Miller on the court with no Howard.
That's the way it's going to be regardless, though, isn't it? Howard's a singular player.

Quote:
I guess my issue is what the heck are they thinking to put such an emphasis on using your MLE or a big part of your summer assets on the big man spots again??? If Howard is clearly taking up 80-85% of the playing time, why all the fuss about what's behind him? They should just focus on the guard/wing situation. I won't complain though, because the situation might work out for us in the long run.
I have a few thoughts on this: 1) what guard/wing is going to be available for the MLE who'd be enough of an upgrade over what they've got to justify the cost, 2) budget management, even for rich owners, is still the name of the game, and Gortat is the most replaceable budget-buster on their payroll, and finally 3) for all we know they've already got a tacit agreement to trade Gortat to Dallas once the 1-year wait is up and it's just been kept quiet up 'til now.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 06-29-2010 at 09:27 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote