View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #998
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Some quotes on Haywood.

Quote:
DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks are placing a high priority on re-signing center Brendan Haywood, who becomes an unrestricted free agent tonight. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle will be on Haywood's doorstep when the gates open at 11:01 CT.

Acquired in the February trade from Washington, the 7-foot Haywood will have other suitors, and his price tag might ultimately become too rich for the Mavs. However, president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson provided one key assurance for Haywood: He will enter next season as the team's starter even if Erick Dampier remains on the roster.

"I think that's just a natural progression of that position," Nelson said. "Those two guys, as a one-two punch, are a pretty formidable center tandem, but I think it would just be, like I said, just a natural progression for Haywood to step into that role."

There's been speculation that Haywood's effort at either end of the floor didn't always please Carlisle, and Haywood has had a hard time living down his, "I just work here," comment after the first time Carlisle went back to Dampier as the starter.

Haywood averaged just 23.2 minutes and started two games in the first-round playoff loss to San Antonio, averaging 6.0 points and 6.2 rebounds. He averaged 8.1 points and 7.4 points in 28 games -- 19 starts -- with Dallas in the regular season.

Nelson said Haywood provided everything the team expected.

With a lack of quality centers available, and the Mavs' deep need for an athletic defender and low-post scoring threat, Dallas will have to be prepared for a bidding war. Haywood, who will enter his 10th season, earned $6 million last season, and a source with knowledge of Haywood's thinking said the starting price for the Mavs will start at a higher rate.

The Mavs own Haywood's Bird rights, meaning they can sign him for up to six years and for more than any other team.

"That's all for me and [Haywood's agent] Andy [Miller] and Mark [Cuban] to figure out at the right time," Nelson said. "And that time is 12:01 New York [time.]"
The bolded part at the end is the most interesting tome. That's an aggressive tone Donnie is setting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote