View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #62
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I feel like you're not very familiar with Joe Johnson's game if you're comparing him to Jason Terry. That's a ridiculous comparison.
I wasn't comparing him to JET. Instead, I half-seriously commented on tcat's post in which he said that jump shooters generally don't decline as badly as players who rely on their outstanding athleticism. That's probably true in many cases, however, there's no guarantee that Joe Johnson will be one of those players who can play at a maximum contract level until his mid-30's or even most of the time of his 6-year contract. Jason Terry, another jump shooter, most likely won't be awesome to watch until that point of his career, whereas Ray Allen has been pretty damn good until age 35.

The thing is, when I look at the years and money with his (playoff) numbers and the reactions to his game out of Atlanta in mind, I'm not sure that this is the greatest no-brainer of a deal we could hope for.

Many players like Kidd, Garnett, Duncan, Allen, Shaq or Kobe have received maximum contracts that would pay them some serious money until their mid-30's and to a point where they would already be on the decline. However, all of them justified that salary due to their contributions on the court, especially in the playoffs. That's why Dirk will receive four more years at max money, because he's earned it. Is Joe Johnson really that type of player? He seems more like a Ginobili than a Duncan, so a salary in the $15 million range would be easier to swallow.

Last edited by dalger; 07-01-2010 at 11:31 AM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote