View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #104
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

From NBA.com:
Quote:
Inside Report: 'DoJo' ready for the big stage

Earl K. Sneed, Mavs.com
'DoJo' ready for the big stage

After showing that he has what it takes to match up against his first-year peers, Dallas Mavericks rookie guard Dominique Jones now has to prove that he's ready to star at the next level.

The first-rounder who turned heads in the NBA's Summer League in Las Vegas, on his way to being selected to the All-Tournament team, is well aware that performing at a high level against fellow young pros was one thing. Making a name for himself by excelling on a nightly basis in the professional ranks is another story.

"I did okay (in Las Vegas), it started off kind of shaky a little bit," Jones said. "I think that I got better every game. I got more consistent every game, more efficient. That was my goal."

While Jones' 16.6 points per game in the Mavs' five matchups this summer was enough to lead the team, the 6-foot-5 combo guard believes it was just the start of impressive things to come. After outscoring No. 1 overall draft pick John Wall, 28-21, in their summer league head-to-head meeting, the young Mav might be right.

"I know myself, I'm gonna keep getting better as it goes on. You see people that start off good, then they die down. You know, I only get better. So, I'm just learning and trying to get better," Jones told NBA TV after his summer finale.

But can the former star at South Florida crack the Mavericks' rotation in a crowded backcourt?

"(Jones) has a pro ability to get his own shot," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "We feel like he's a unique guy. He'd probably be classified more as a scorer than a shooter. We obviously feel he is a guy that could help us next year."

And after leading his squad in scoring all three of his collegiate seasons, you can easily see how Jones could fit into Dallas' equation for years to come.

In his junior season, Jones earned First Team All-Big East honors and an All-American honorable mention after averaging 21.4 points (15th in the nation), 6.1 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.7 steals per game. He was the only player in the nation to average at least 21 points, six rebounds and three assists.

Now, Jones will not only put those surefire skills to the test while becoming a mainstay in a Dallas uniform, but he also hopes to show some of the NBA's best a thing or two.

"I mean, I'm looking forward to playing against everybody," Jones said. "I don't have an idol. I feel like I'm my best player. Because I feel like if D-Wade (Dwyane Wade) or Kobe (Bryant) is my best player, how do I approach that when it's time to play against them? So, I feel that I'm my favorite player, no idol. I'm just ready to play every time I step out here."

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote