View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #123
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
What has Marion done that is so great this game? I like Marion, but I'm not seeing the Butler hate. I think the main problem is the drop off after Dirk is pretty big....
Well first of all, my comments aren't really born from this game. Heck Butler's going to end up having a pretty nice night. It's more about what I saw all of last year continuing.

As far as Marion, it's not that he's so great that he has to start. You'll notice I'm not arguing about who should finish games, or even how their minutes should be distributed.

My point with Marion is that he's our best swingman defender by a mile, and I don't see how it makes sense to start the first six-plus minutes of each half with him on the bench when you know the elite scorers will be on the floor. Obviously he will still find himself on the floor with the elite scorers, but why set yourself up for those 12 minutes every game?

The other side of my point is that I suspect Caron would be much more effective as the focal point of an offense, which he could do for stretches when Dirk is on the bench. And he still could depending on how Carlisle works his sub patterns, but I just think it makes more sense to bring him off the bench.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote