View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #129
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Well first of all, my comments aren't really born from this game. Heck Butler's going to end up having a pretty nice night. It's more about what I saw all of last year continuing.

As far as Marion, it's not that he's so great that he has to start. You'll notice I'm not arguing about who should finish games, or even how their minutes should be distributed.

My point with Marion is that he's our best swingman defender by a mile, and I don't see how it makes sense to start the first six-plus minutes of each half with him on the bench when you know the elite scorers will be on the floor. Obviously he will still find himself on the floor with the elite scorers, but why set yourself up for those 12 minutes every game?

The other side of my point is that I suspect Caron would be much more effective as the focal point of an offense, which he could do for stretches when Dirk is on the bench. And he still could depending on how Carlisle works his sub patterns, but I just think it makes more sense to bring him off the bench.
To be honest, I doubt Carlisle knows how the minutes will be distributed. Caron vs Marion is a pickle. I'm not sure though you put as much stock in the rest of the second unit....if Roddy starts then you have Terry/Caron as the offense off the bench. Sounds great, but then you wonder who the focal point will be? Terry or Butler? My point is that just as many issues could come from Butler coming off the bench as Marion. I still believe that you need Butler's offense more than Marion's defense. If Butler HAS to be the focal point of the offense, then maybe you have a point...otherwise, I think we start games slow with Marion to start. Hell, we might start games slow anyway. It still looks like a bit drop off from Dirk either way...but, it is preseason...

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote