View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #716
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
So you honestly don't think that NY gets any advantage from being in numerous game 7s (and numerous World Series) before with us never being in a single game 7? I mean, look, I subscribe to Greenberg's theory that history doesn't throw pitches and history doesn't swing bats, but let's be realistic. NY is comfortable in this situation and Texas is not as comfortable - period. To make it do or die is just increasing the chances that a Andrus throw sails wide or that guys press at the plate a little more than normal. And yes, I realize that we already played 1 do or die game, but that was to win our Franchise's first ever playoff series - not to make it to the WORLD SERIES by beating the Yankees. It is different, no matter what you or anyone else might think. This is a much bigger stage.

I mean you really don't think that there is any extra pressure from this being the FINAL game that could end up negatively affecting our boys while possibly further motivating a team that was left for dead at 3-1 but full of life at 3-3? I just don't buy it. Sure it is better to pitch Lee in game 6 and I wish to hell that he was pitching tonight. With that said, let's win tonight and not have to worry about woulda/coulda/shoulda scenarios.
Would I rather Lee was pitching tonight? I guess. I'd rather not go through the stress of a game 7 myself. But a rain out allowing Lee to pitch game 6 means THEIR ace is available for a potential game 7. That's not better, which was the original argument.

Quote:
And regarding pitching Lee on short rest, how have they made it clear? By not doing it in the regular season? Really, that is why you think so? Who does that anyway in the regular season? By not doing it in a 5-game series where you only get to pitch him twice anyway (and considering we were up 2-0 there was no great benefit other than to avoid that same tension and nervous situation I spoke about above)? Really, that is why? Because another team didn't do it (AND LOST DESPITE TWO WINS FROM LEE!!!)? Look, Washington may not do it, but the reasons you listed are NOT valid reasons that PROVE he won't do it.
There was a ton of discussion about Lee pitching games 3 and 7 of this series, and not once did a plugged in Ranger reporter say that Lee pitching game 5 in Tampa cost him a chance to pitch three times in this series. It wasn't in the plans.

I think the fact that Philly didn't feel comfortable pitching him on short rest, and the fact that Texas has not either is pretty relevant to the discussion. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. Pitching on short rest is not a common thing. It's a very, very rare thing. Hell Halladay didn't even do it in the NLCS.

Again, they might just decide to do it, but I think it's a real long shot. Especially since the scenario you're laying out would require for him to pitch on short rest twice.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-22-2010 at 03:49 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote