View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #1130
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
....I'm so emotionally empty right now. I know that I won't be able to listen to sportstalk for a couple of weeks.. but hey, that's just the way baseball go.
Yeah, you and me too.

I went into this thinking that it would be very easy to lose if we did but that definitely wasn't the case. It still hurt like hell watching SF run onto our field and celebrate.

Like Thiggy said, you really have to step back and look at what this team accomplished just to be in the damn final series, but still, it hurts all the more that they couldn't finish the story.

It's easy to sit here and say that we are well positioned to make a run at this for the next several years but the truth about baseball (and all sports for that matter) is that nothing is guaranteed.

I am still so proud of them, but it would've been nice to be both proud and happy at the end of this series.

Oh well, now our attention needs to turn to signing Cliff Lee to a long term contract. One bad game 1 and one bad pitch in game 5 does not make him any less of a stud. We wouldn't be in the World Series without him and he needs to be brought back.

If he comes back and Feliz possibly converts to a starter you would be talking about the following next year:

Lee
Wilson
Lewis
Holland
Feliz

Then you have SO many guys in the wings in the event that someone gets injured or struggles (Scheppers, Hunter, Feldman, Hurley, McCarthy, Harrison, etc...).

Sure, leaving Feliz as the closer of this team is likely the safe choice, but I think he can be so much more than that so here is hoping he gets a chance to show his stuff much like CJ did this year. Hell, Ogando or even Scheppers should be able to do a great job in this role.

Regarding the lineup, I think Vlad is gone and I HOPE MADLY that Young becomes the DH with someone like Adrian Beltre brought in to play 3B (though keeping Lee AND signing Beltre may be too much money for even our new ownership). Mitch played out of his mind this post season at 1B, but he made a few careless mistakes defensively and I still don't know that he will ever produce like you want to see a 1B produce. Then again, for the price/production, he will likely be the opening day starter.

The future is bright, but back to my original point, damn it would have been nice to have that bright future plus a World Series trophy to show for a lot of hard work this year. As LSB and Murphy pointed out though, that's just the way baseball go.