View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #1147
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Frankie's far from a guarantee to be back. His injury might have lowered his value to the point that he accepts arbitration, but if not I think he's gone.

I think the bullpen is a larger question than the starting rotation going forward, regardless of the Lee outcome. There's no question that a #1-#3 starter is more valuable than a good closer, but for this team I think his spot is secure as the closer.
If Frankie isn't back, I can agree that his best spot would be as a closer just so we don't have an extra hole to fill with people that haven't had to fill them before. I think he accepts arbitration though so I am expecting him back. With Frankie in tow, I just see Feliz starting as a luxury I would LOVE to have. Imagine that guy for 7 or 8 innings coming at you.

As far as this bullpen with big questions, I don't know that I agree. Guys just ran out of gas. We had great success but we just went to the well a little too much. We need better success from our starting pitchers to prevent the 3 inning Harden/Feldman-type starts that kill a bullpen.

It is kind of like needing a better rush up front in football. If you have a terrific line you can make a fairly mediocre secondary look good, if not spectacular at times. Likewise if you have well rested arms you will get the best of the bullpen's abilities all year long and, most important, in the playoffs.

I just want him to start just like I want Chris Davis to turn the damn corner. I guess neither one is going to happen so I will just have to accept that.