View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #199
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
That is such an ignorant reason to avoid bringing in a great coach. Such an ignorant reason. It takes a LOT to go right to win it all and a comment like that is an indictment for every hall of fame coach that ever changed teams. Having a great coach is just one step. But it is one of the biggest missing ingredients for a team with our problems.
I never said that we should avoid bringing in a "Super Coach", and if Garrett totally flops over these next eight games I would probably be fine with bringing in a Gruden. I was merely pointing out that it's never as easy as bringing in a Super Coach to fix our problems. Plus, you make an excellent point when you say that it takes a lot to go right to win it all. That includes drive and hunger from your head coach.

Don't underestimate human nature here - it's a lot easier to have that drive and hunger when you're young and unproven. When you get have already proven yourself, have a fat contract, and don't have the energy of your youth, it can be hard to match the performance you put together through a masterful Super Bowl run. Look at the last four coaches in the Super Bowl - Whisenhunt, Tomlin, Caldwell, and Payton. These guys weren't brand names beforehand, yet it didn't seem to turn out too poorly for their teams.

Whether Garrett is the next of the new kids on the block to find coaching success remains to be seen. But I don't really see the point in writing him off already before he's coached his first game when the Super Coaches that everyone is clamoring for aren't going to be slam dunks (if history has anything to say about it). Why don't we just sit back and see what Garrett can do? If you've been paying attention so far, you might have noticed that he's already done some impressive things in his first week. I, for one, am interested to see if it will translate onto the gridiron.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote