View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #115
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Tell me what you mean by couldn't disagree more, and the notes that you have seen. You are talking about JJB being a tweener? What a tweener guard is, as far as I know, is a guy who is not a pure one. Otherwise he would be a PG and everyone would be happy.
Fisher's written multiple times about the feeling within the Mavs that JJB is a SG in a PG's body. Not saying that makes it true but it's been written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I don't quite understand the thinking that jjb isn't a point..He's got tremendous handles for example. He drives like a shooting guard but in this nba most pg's do. He plays well off the ball because he drives the ball.

He might not be a great pg, but he's certainly a point.
In response to both you and Chum, I would say that a prototypical PG is a pass-first creator. That's prototypical. And I think we can all agree that JJB is not that.

Now, there are certainly many great PG's that don't fit that mold. That's not the only type of PG. But once you move past prototypical, in order to define a PG you have to start assessing a player's ability to direct an offense, to control a game, to make decisions on setting up teammates, etc.

Physical skills are not the indicator, at least not in my mind. If physical skills were the determining factor then Roddy would be PG right now.

I'm certainly not saying JJB is a bad PG. I just don't think he's a true PG. He's not a good facilitator, and he's really not a very good passer. He runs the pick and roll well, but so does Jet. So do a lot of players that aren't points.

He does a lot of dribbling and gets good penetration, and that's good and valuable. But he doesn't pass all that well out of that penetration, which mitigates the value somewhat.

Offensively speaking I think JJB is perfectly fine as a backup PG. I'm not eagerly trying to get rid of him. Please keep in mind that I'm firmly in the camp of JJB defenders on this board. I just think Jet is a far better player and if he can run the point at all, he's not going to lose minutes to JJB. And based on what I saw in the preseason, I think Jet is going to be this team's backup PG by the time the season is over.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion, mind you. It wouldn't shock me to see JJB hold on to the spot. It's just my prediction that he won't.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote