View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Do you think you would accomplish most of what you want to accomplish simply by using rebounding percentages?
Well, basically all I'm doing is conglomerating rebounding percentages into one number. You can obviously say that a team's defensive rebounding rate is 67.8%, which ranks 24th in the NBA, and an offensive rebounding rate of 22.1%, which is 13th. Or you can say that they have an REB+ of 98, which of course slightly below average. The difficult part is separating out the different types of rebounds, which is tedious but necessary (and which you do for straight rebounding percentages anyway). After that, normalizing and weighting them is not hard or time-consuming at all. I'm looking for one number that tells me a team's overall rebounding prowess, and no single rebounding percentage can do that.