View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #131
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Dunn isnt good enough defensively to play first in the majors. He is a dh and a dh only(konerko is pretty darn close to that at this point) As far as hitters, Im not sure there are two hitters whose skillsets are more different than dunn and vlad at this point.
Dude, I didn't mean that his skillset matched, I just meant a younger power hitting DH... I understand he takes a lot of walks, has a much higher OBP, and is a lefty. I could have worded it different to avoid your assumption but that is not at all what I meant.

As far as him (or Konerko) not being a good defensive option at 1B, yeah, I know - said as much. But some teams were willing to give him that spot to get him to sign with their team (any NL team that signed him likely would have - hell he is worse defensively in the outfield).

I personally would have taken his lack of range at 1B to get the immense improvement offensively. I would have especially been OK with it if someone like Beltre was also brought in to play 3B with Young going to DH. At that point, despite the downgrade defensively at 1B, you have still improved your overall infield defense due to the huge jump from Young to Beltre at 3B. Dunn can catch balls fine and it is mainly just his range that is horrible.

Sure, I would rather have him as my DH, but it would likewise be nice to keep Vlad's bat in the lineup instead of Moreland's (or Young's if a Beltre WAS brought in).

Doesn't matter anyway - dude is a White Sox at this point.