View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #136
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I dont see a giant issue with either the stat or your point that it needs to be taken in context. What I would say from looking at those numbers and watching hamilton play, is that if he plays center for 30 or so games a year, he is a plus in center. However if you leave him out there for the majority of the year, the wear and tear that everyone is so concerned about with him begins to negatively affect his defense in a way that is visible both to the naked eye and more advanced defensive metrics.

BTW on the Vlad/Dunn thing, I knew that you knew they werent actually similar hitters. No matter how much we disagree on things, I know you follow baseball. I was simply pointing that out for anyone else who might be reading and did a poor job of clarifying.

Ive been thinking about the potential for a Greinke trade and Ive got a different idea. Id offer Elvis Andrus straight up for him(I think theyd have a hard time turning that down) and then go after either Alexei Ramirez, Stephen Drew or Marco Scutaro(whom the sox are supposed to be dealing). I wouldnt do the greinke trade without having the trade for another SS done first though.
The only way his defense would be negatively affected is if an injury forced him out of the game or if an injury prevented him from being him. The rib injury didn't keep him from diving and jumping though as instinct took over those final few regular season games and playoffs.

Regarding the Greinke trade, I think you would gut the clubhouse chemistry by losing Elvis (it also means you are looking for a new leadoff hitter). I can't argue about defense, because someone like Ramirez is right there with Andrus. With that said, I would likewise doubt that is even close to enough for KC considering what they have been asking for.

Would I do it if chemistry wasn't crushed and another SS was brought in with similar defensive abilities considering our minor league talent at SS? Yes, as Grienke is an ace or a notch just below an ace and those guys don't grow on trees. With that said, I know chemistry would be affected, getting that type of SS would be difficult, and KC wouldn't bite, even with Elvis' stock as high as it is after his great playoff performance.