View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #43
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Well you're the one who said Dallas is the "exception to the 'rule'," (which was the entire purpose of the thread, Why is Dallas an exception to the rule? So I'm not sure I understand exactly what point you're trying to make here, unless it's that the refs are less likely to give Dallas favorable calls at home than they are other teams..) so I'm assuming you do think it's a rule.

If so, I agree with you. When something can generally be expected to happen 50% of the time and it instead happens 60% of the time, that's significant. And that 59.5% number isn't particular to this season. From what I've been able to find HCA in the NBA comes through right at about 60% of the time throughout the past 15-20 years or so at least.

Recently the Mavericks have been a bit of an exception to that rule, though I think you guys might be jumping to conclusions based on too small of a sample. Over the last five years Dallas has won 45 more games at home than on the road. Granted last season we only won one more game at home than on the road. But I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of this season Dallas doesn't have 5 or more wins at home than on the road.. it's still early.
"Rule"

I hardly think 60% can be considered a rule anyway - that number won't get you a passing grade in America's public school system or push any new laws through Congress (because 60% is closer to 30% than it is to 100%).

But I'm not all that interested in debating the word "rule", I'm interested in debating the word "advantage". What kind of advantage does home court give the Mavs?

The only two advantages teams get from playing on their home court are the home crowd and the penalty calling from the refs - neither of those have worked in the Mavs' favor so far this season, so the HCA "rule" doesn't really apply, does it?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-06-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: redundantly redundant
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote