View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #401
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Young never won a gg at 2b and shouldnt have won one at second. I dont really mind this plan much if andrus and kinsler stay healthy but its important to understand how bad defensively Young would be at the MI spots. Both andrus and Kinsler appear to be +10 defenders at their respective positions(to me though they were both well below that last year) Young is likely a -15 defender at second where his arm cant help make up for his terrible range and a -15 defender at short. So basically you are looking at a gigantic dropoff defensively playing young at either of those positions. Can he play them in a pinch? Sure. Is it pretty much a season damning move if you have to put him out there for more than 20 or so games? YES
I'll just have to agree to disagree, although I didn't realize he didn't get a gold glove while on 2.

In 2002, Young placed 2nd in fielding with a .988 fielding percentage. In 2003, Young was 3rd in the league in hits with 204, and led all second baseman with a batting average of .306. Young had a fielding percentage of .987.

Suffice it to say that he was pretty good at 2nd though, and wouldn't be near as bad as you say, IMO. SS is where the range comes into play, and IMO, there are not 25 balls in a year that Andrus makes the play that MY wouldn't.

Has his range lessened with age - yes. Was his range great to begin with - no. Would he still be solid though -- sure. David Eckstein was a shortstop that had no range, had less than the arm of MY, and was still an all-star. He has 2 WS rings and was nothing but solid.

IMO -- MY could be better today than Eckstein ever was, and you are only talking about using him to give guys days off, or in case of injury. I think he would be a great utility guy.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote