Thread: Kevin Martin
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #183
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------I also hate losing Roddy, because he's one of those few explosive penetrators. Martin drives and draws fouls, but he's not ridiculously explosive like Beaubois is. 80% of his shots are still jumpers (I'd give you Roddy's % but 82games is acting odd right now). Roddy, on the other hand, can basically get into the lane every possession if he wants. Even when he doesn't take shots, the penetration and subsequent collapse of the defense opens up open jump shots for our primarily jump shooting team. That's why Roddy is such a great fit for this team, and I don't think Martin is the same sort of player at all. That right there is why I'd be really, really hesistant to trade away Roddy right now, no matter who we were trading him for.
I am in general agreement with your entire post but this last part clearly articulates an important point about trades that most posters on this trade board always seem to forget. They always seem to forget or never recognize that what is the most important factor in trades is need combined with team chemistry. I think the problems that the Heat have experienced is one example of talent being hindered by the lack of chemistry. Roddy is an important fit for the offense just as Chandler was for the defense. TC would not have the same impact on most other teams. There were some who had the ability to recognized this long before it was played out on the court. In the same respect I don't think a lot of posters recognize why Roddy's unique talents are as potentially important to this team since they are not refected by numbers they can actually see on paper. They are entirely too caught up in stats which works for fantasy leagues but not reality.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote