View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #200
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Champ Bailey may also be free, and either he or Nnamdi would be great additions. As to the idea of moving Newman to FS, that will never, ever happen. Your FS has to be able to hit and tackle and Newman does neither. Disagree greatly over the past two years. He has actually tried to hurt people week in and week out and had a couple of articles about it last year. He has made great strides in this area and isn't the weak tackler he was early on in his career. Saying he couldn't do this just isn't true. It may indeed never happen but it will be because of his cover ability being more beneficial in a CB role than it will be because of his inability to perform at the position (that or to prevent injuries from being more likely). Moving Newman inside in a nickle situation, as your third CB would be an upgrade over Scandrick, and I see that as far more likely, although when T-New is healthy (which he often isn't), he is much more effective and takes fewer risks than Jenkins does, so he might wind up earning the starting spot in training camp if the Cowboys do wind up grabbing a veteran CB via free agency. [b]For similar reasons that many people didn't want to give up on Borbon in CF, you likewise don't give up on a young talented CB that has already showed that he could be very, very good. I think Jenkins is your starting CB next year no matter what you do (unless they bring in one of the stud FA CBs PLUS go after one of the stud CBs in the draft - which isn't going to happen).

If the Cowboys had any pass rush outside of Ware and Spencer, I think the secondary would look much better. If they were able to land Fairley somehow (which I don't think will happen barring a trade), that would be a massive upgrade. I know that proponents of the 3-4 scheme often say that your ends are used to tie up linemen, freeing up your linebacker to make plays, but I don't buy it. Well, we both agree that 3-4 ends can play rather aggressive and take advantage but it often can be difficult to find speed, power, and size in a guy to be able to take on two blockers at times while also being quick enough to take advantage of a single blocker and get to the QB. I have brought up guys in the past that I thought could do it that were larger 4-3 ends with good size and most here didn't see the fit. Few here think you can have dynamic players at the 3-4 end unless they weigh 340lbs and still run a 4.5 40 (good luck finding that). If your 3-4 end is consistently getting blocked by one lineman on every passing play, he needs to be feasting on that and regularly making the opposing QB miserable in the pocket.

If the Cowboys decide to trade down to pick up a late first or an early second, another guy I find intriguing is Stephen Paea, a DT from Oregon State. He has been steadily creeping up into the first round, so I'm not sure if he would be available where they pick in the 2nd. His leverage reminds me of Ratliff, and he carries 310 pounds amazingly well.

If they trade way down into late-1st territory, they could grab Anthony Castonzo, offensive right tackle from BC, or Nate Solder, OT from Colorado. This is also where Mike Pouncey, OG from Florida, is projected to go. If the Cowboys move up into the early second round, they could grab the best center in the draft, Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State, allowing them to slide Gurode to guard. That would be great for the o-line. Bottom line - there better be damn good value in any trade down they make. I really want one of the two CBs unless we break the bank on one of the available top 5 in the league. If we do that, we still better have darn good value as there are other places I would love to see us bring in an absolute impact player.
Comments above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-11-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote