View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #206
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
When I think of above-average tacklers at the CB position, I think of Champ Bailey, Antoine Winfield, Charles Woodson, Sheldon Brown, Vontae Davis, Brandon Flowers... those are above-average tacklers. Newman is not even close to being as physical as any of those guys. You rarely, if ever, see him shoot inside of a block from a pulling lineman and plant a running back in the backfield, but all of those guys do it regularly. Maybe we should define what "above-average" means. If Newman is an above-average tackler, then the corners above are God-like at tackling. I'm not saying I would prefer any of them over Newman at corner, but he is an average tackler, at best. His coverage ability is above-average and that's why he is a very good corner, although the Cowboys do need to groom someone to replace him due to his age.

This is what I would define as above-average:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WasjkXTNTfo

I'm not cherry-picking Newman as a scapegoat. I've always like him as a player, but you have to be physical and a very good tackler to play free safety, and your body and frame have to be able to withstand the position. Saying that Newman could play FS, but not for 16 games because he could get hurt kind of negates the whole point of thinking he would be a good fit there. Those are caveats that can't be overlooked, in my opinion.

Patrick Peterson of LSU would make an elite free safety, in my opinion, because of his size, instincts, frame, and ball skills. If the Cowboys were to land him in the draft, I would hope that they would consider moving him there because I think he would be dominant. I'm not sure you want to pay a safety the kind of money that Peterson will get, but he is, quite possibly, the best player in the draft, so I certainly wouldn't complain about it.
Well, you listed 6 CBs that you consider better tacklers than Newman and there are 64 starters in the league. I said he was above average, not elite, so I am not sure why you have the problem you have with my feelings there. There is a level between GODLY and above average you know.

That said, whatever - it doesn't matter. If you are right in your belief that Newman being unable to play all 16 games at FS prevents him from being able to do it you might want to ask him to retire as he can't do that at CB either. You might also want to talk to Sanders/Polamalu.

For the record, Peterson at CB or FS has me giddy. Get that man on this team.