View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #221
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
You truly aren't following this are you? Let me see if I can't break it down for you.

First, you said: "I would love to see them draft Peterson as a safety, and sign Champ Bailey, Asomugha, or Ike Taylor at corner if they wind up cutting Newman (which is a distinct possibility). Then sign a good guard like Carl Nicks, Harvey Dahl or Davin Joseph and let Kosier go somewhere else, along with cutting Big Len. Either draft Wisniewski in the second as your center, or do everything you can to get Ryan Kalil away from the Panthers and slide Gurode over to the other guard position. Sign Doug Free now. Pick up at least one RT in the mid rounds. Cut Marion Barber and sign Michael Bush or Mike Tolbert. Cut Roy Williams and sign Lance Moore, Laurent Robinson, Jacoby Jones, Danny Amendola, or Legedu Naanee as your third wideout. There are many permutations that could follow each of those moves, but I definitely think a complete overhaul of the offensive line is a must."

MKat said: "huge pipe dream. it'd be amazing if any one of those things happened." Which, to me, clearly is saying all of the above is a huge pipe dream and it would be amazing if even one of those things happened, MUCH LESS all of them.

You then said: "Get your pipe ready." Which, to me, clearly suggests that the huge pipe dream is going to take place (again, which is ALL of your things).

I then went on to contend just that, which is MKat was suggesting all items taking place was the pipe dream.

You then went on to say: "I do, that's why I never said, at any point, that I thought that all of those moves would happen."

Please take a moment and let all of that sink in. So, what are the options? 1, you misunderstood MKat's post to not mean that all of your items was the pipe dream. 2, you lied with your most recent post. Pick.

Regarding straw man type stuff with regards to Newman, like I said, you listed 6 damn guys that you thought were better tacklers. There are 64 starting CBs in the league. I contend that Newman is above average tackling from the CB position and therefore would be average to slightly below average tackling in the FS position while being elite in coverage at the FS position. There is no straw in that argument. Worst case, you disagree and we go on about our business.

You are not right Ribo... You simply have an opinion on the matter. My opinion is formed from watching a great deal of football (especially Cowboys football) and seeing the last 2 years of Newman vs. the early part of his career (and I assume your opinion is based on the same). I think he most certainly could do it and I think where he hurts you with tackling he would more than make up for with coverage. Again, just my opinion, but it isn't wrong because you don't associate Newman with Champ Fing Bailey. Period.

When the pipe dream comment was made, it was added to by the statement that it would be amazing if any of those things happened. It really won't be amazing at all, because several of those things are going to happen. There will be players cut, players signed via free agency, and I would bet some of those players I listed will wind up on the Cowboys.

If you needed clarification, I would've been happy to give it to you.

As long as Newman is on the Cowboys roster, he needs to be put in a position where his skill set can be best utilized. Moving him out of a position where he has already experienced injuries related to contact into a position where the type of contact will be much more violent in nature doesn't make any sense to me.

To be honest with you, I think Newman should be cut, but only if there is a more viable option brought in. Even his coverage abilities, which are indeed his strong-point, have started to slip a bit considering how much he is being paid. He consistently runs himself out of plays with over-pursuit, he tackles up high (not a quality you ever want to see out of any defensive back, but definitely not a safety), and he takes poor angles in space. The horribly-played attempt to bat the ball down on a simple comeback route to Hakeem Nicks that wound up going for a touchdown, the missed-tackle on Devin Hester in the Bears game that went for 37 yards, and the bad judgment on the go route by Robert Meachem in the Saints game all directly led to losses last season. I know you love him, but there are many better corners in the game and a few of them are available via free agency. The three I listed are all more complete players than Newman right now.

I imagine that you will be tempted to suggest that I see Newman as a scapegoat for this past season's woes, but I don't. I think that Mike Jenkins showed some of the worst technique I have seen in my life last season. The safeties are a complete joke. The interior line doesn't collapse the pocket enough to alter sight lines. The linebackers are terrible in coverage. And that's just the defense. The offensive line is old and ineffective in both the run and pass, resulting in a truncated playbook which often gets Red Ball criticized, but you can't have a deep passing attack when you only have two seconds to get rid of the ball. Roy turned out to be a #2 option, at best. And the field goal kicker is better at tackling than making field goals.

Like I said before, I can list 20 corners who I think are better tacklers than Newman if you'd like, but it's not like that will make any difference to you, so we just disagree. And that's okay with me. I watched the same things you did this past season, I just saw something completely different.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d814c7e1d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHIL7z20djs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSw8fXYu3wI

Versus the Packers, Week 9. An attempt(?) at a tackle on Brandon Jackson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83W4odz9H-g

There were many other examples of Newman's over-pursuit and upright tackling style throughout the year that I saw, but the above videos were the only ones I could find in a quick search.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote