View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #206
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
You can be certain that something is uncertain. Not that complicated.

http://www.realization.com/pdf/silicon_india.pdf
I'm bothered that you seem to not realize this is a purposefully oxymoronic periodical title meant to be catchy.

But since I've been bested by Silicon India, I'll go ahead and make some super-confident (!) predictions about some things:

-I'm 100% confident the Patriots are not a sure thing to win the Super Bowl.

-I'm supremely confident it's uncertain that it will reach 70 degrees in Dallas next Wednesday.

Pats win the Super Bowl? I'm right! After all, all I said was "they're not a sure thing." Maybe they win a close game and I seem even more right (even though I never predicted that). Pats don't win the super bowl? I'm still right! The high is 75 in Dallas next Wednesday? The high is 42? I'm right either way!

This is great. My confidence is well-founded. I can never be wrong! I am awesome.

....seriously, man, do you not see how the word "confidence" is stripped of all meaning in these contexts? There are no stakes. I can throw as much worthless "confidence" out there as I want, because I can never be right or wrong. Let me put it this way: if you bet UD with him taking the side that the Bobcats "aren't a sure thing to make the playoffs," he will win that bet 100% of the time.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote