View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #231
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Came across this nugget in a blog post about NFL coaches breaking out of the traditional way of thinking to play the percentages:

The third bit of evidence is no doubt the strongest. After Ken Kovash and I wrote that paper on football, the Dallas Cowboys hired him! (Ken follows in the footsteps of another of my former students, Mike Zarren, who is the stats guy for the Celtics.) I’m happy to report that the Cowboys ratio of passes to runs jumped far more than the league average, so maybe they are even listening to him.

Using advanced stats in football is a relatively new phenomenon and seems to require more judgement than basketball and baseball. Still, it's encouraging to see the organization on the forefront of the movement.

here's the link if anyone's interested: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...=Google+Reader
Don't show this to Bob Sturm.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote