View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #33
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Ive been begging for Sessions for a long time around here. He seems to be having a pretty good year. he's like a Devin Harris-lite which wouldnt be so bad to have.
The Matt Carroll TE works w/his salary which would save the Butler chip. They'd save almost 8 million in luxury tax.

I have to ask you honestly though BG: do you think the MBT is REALLY that committed to not absorbing huge payroll for less than a star or do you think it's a bargaining stance? I tend to think(and hope)it's the latter, although these guys are way more plugged in than we are as far as the next CBA. Perhaps staying financially flexible IS a bigger concern than some of us even know. People continue to sight the possibility of losing Tyson due to a hard cap. But there would have to be some built in protection to "grandfather" it in, right? I think thats what the talk of a "franchise tag" is about.

I guess i feel like the NBA sees the writing on the wall and will soon make it harder for players like CP,Melo,Deron to jump small-market ships. The viability of the league in a way depends on it. If the MBT passes on a player like Iggy because they don't view him as a difference maker then that's one thing. If it's because they can find a better "value" well then that makes sense too dependent upon the player i guess. If we get a guy that is good value AND maintains flexibility that would seem to follow their recent M.O. and in that case Prince and Billups make a ton of sense. I'd just hate to see the team stand pat if the EXACT right deal doesn't come along because of what may or may not happen in the future.
Cleveland is not in the luxury tax.

I don't have any actual insight like BG, but I absolutely believe that the stance on long term contracts is very real and not at all a bargaining position. Sure the owners would like to find ways to keep players from moving and leaving them with nothing. But their first priority is going to be to lower their costs, which could mean shorter contracts, less guarantees, and maybe a harder cap.

None of it may come to pass, and there will probably some sort of "grandfather" process to easy any transition, but the prudent thing is still to be cautious and leave yourself in a good position no matter the outcome.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote