View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #65
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I think the injuries influence every aspect of our defensive decline - it's a domino effect, especially when you're playing zone.

You lose a player, the scheme suddenly operates differently, somebody doesn't fit in as well as they used to, they get frustrated, it affects the guy next to him, and so on...
I don't think there's any question that if you remove the injuries, we don't see anywhere near this level of defensive decline. But at the same time, we should have a defensive system (and a defensively minded confidence and attitude) in place that prevents us from reverting to one of the 10 worst defensive teams in the league after a couple key injuries. We should at least be able to hover around "average" without a full roster, IMO. Several elite defensive teams throughout this decade managed to field a serviceable defense (and thus still win a lot of games) without their key guys.

I think you're right about the zone, but using zone so much in the first place is a sign of defensive weakness, IMO. It's a nice change of pace, but I think we rely on it way too much to be a truly elite defense.

All this talk early-season about us being an elite defense made me uncomfortable. I don't think you can be a consistently elite defense with what we have on the perimeter defensively. I just don't think it's possible, even with Tyson and a fully healthy roster.

All that being said, the bigger problem is still offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Because i've seen this from Barea before. I never followed Chandler's career before he got here but I always thought of him as a shotblocking and rebounding guy who had no offensive game. I've seen two games now of 20 and 10. He's not the offensive liability Dampier is. I'd like to see more. When Roddy comes back i'd like to see Barea's minutes decline. Chandler putting up 20 and 10 is more believable than Barea continuing to shoot 9 for 12 from the field.
Chandler is not going to consistently average 20/10, just like Barea is not going to average 75% shooting. The former isn't really any more believable than the latter.

And I just find the phrasing funny. Barea pretty much won the game for us last night, and you "don't care"? You didn't just say, "I don't expect this to continue," which would be totally fair. You explicitly said you "don't care." I find that strange, but also completely in line with the general attitude of the board.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-28-2011 at 02:35 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote