View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #1278
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Among 22,000, Dirk's points coming efficiently

NEW YORK -- For anyone who didn't know, Dirk Nowitzki reached 22,000 career points when he capped the first half Wednesday against the New York Knicks with two free throws to give him 13 points for the game.

"Really? I didn’t even know that,” Nowitzki said after he scored 29 points on 10-of-16 shooting in the Mavs' 113-97 victory. “It’s been a pretty sweet ride for me the last 13 years, but one thing is missing. We all know what we’re chasing and that’s ultimately the championship. I signed on for another four years, so hopefully one of these years I can reach my goal."

Dirk said the same thing in December when he passed Larry Bird on the NBA's all-time scoring list in another impressive win at Orlando.

But, why ruin another rare-air milestone with talk of an elusive championship during frigid February? Nowitzki became just the 24th player to reach 22,000 points. He takes 22,016 career points into Friday's game at the Boston Celtics.

Mavs coach Rick Carlisle won't do it.

"There's a few guys who have done it in history, but Dirk is a unique guy," Carlisle said. "There's nobody that has worked at developing his game more than he has in the history of the league. And I put him up against [Larry] Bird and all those guys that have the great work ethic and great reputations as hard workers. There's a reason the ball goes in the basket. That's because he's great and he's put in the time and the hours."

Nowitzki continued his recent shooting surge against the Knicks, connecting on 10-of-16 shots and scoring his 29 points in only 32 minutes. And that might be the most hopeful number of all. In years past, including earlier this season, Nowitzki has had big scoring games, but he's often had the burden of carrying the scoring load and playing upward of 38 minutes.

But, as the Mavs did during their 12-game win streak, they are again moving the ball around offensively, getting five, six and seven players in double figures. With Nowitzki shooting it at such a high percentage and making the smart play if his shot isn't there, his teammates are benefitting from open looks.

During this six-game winning streak, the Mavs have scored more than 100 points five times and at least 111 points three times.

"Like I was doing it in November, December, I was scoring efficiently. I think that was the biggest plus for me early in the season where I didn’t have to work as hard," Nowitzki said. "I didn’t have to hoist 30 shots to get my 23, 24 points. If I’m efficient out there, if I get double-teammed move the ball and that’s what I’ve been doing all season, scoring efficiently, seeing what they give me and if it’s not there swing the ball, run a pick and roll and let somebody else get a shot. Moving the ball, sharing the ball has been working pretty well."
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...0-and-counting

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote