View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #92
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread advocating a trade. I still believe this team needs another guy who can demand a double team. But lets take a long look at why we may be able to get by without one.

1. JJB has become more reliable. At least he has for the last 6 weeks. If you could guarentee me he does not revert, that he will consistantly make the right decision on when to shoot and when to pass, he makes our 2nd unit pretty good with the way he breaks down defenses. The fact that his play is giving Kidd increased mid season rest has to pay benefits in the post season.

2. Peja spreads the floor. I think his defense will be a major liability, and that scares me. But if his shot comes around, the fact that his defender has to stay home on him provides an impact similar to demanding a double team. With Roddy and JJB, there will always be a player on the floor who can drive and kick. Peja is an excellent passer, and as long as this team is willing to make the extra pass, there will always be someone open. I expect everyone else's 3 point percentage to increase.

3. Roddy's growth. After 2 games back, he looks like the player we had last year. great speed, can blow by anyone but is turnover prone. He must learn to take care of the ball against NBA quality defenses. The question is can he develop consistency between now and April? That's just a huge if. At least now it looks like RC will give him the minutes to try. No way I trade him for anything less than a bona-fide Robin. But without such a Robin, a 2nd round exit looms.

4. Team Play. When at their best, this Mavs players play with the awareness that if the defense is collaping on them, make the pass. I see this especially with Terry, who has rediscovered his skills at driving to the hole and either finishing or passing. I already mentioned JJB, but lets not forget Dirk...he's growing into an excellent passer. And now that we have 3 bigs who can catch and finish, those extra pases really pay off. Earlier in the season, we could say similar things about team defense, but without Tough Juice, and with Peja, this area needs a lot of work. If we get back to where we were, we're golden.

So I still want that guy who can demand the double team. But the last time we were this close we got within 6 quarters of a championship, so I'm ok with standing pat. We have the bigs to challenge LA, and Marion and DSteve to make Kobe work for whatever he gets. Our 3 point D has to improve to have a chance against teh Spurs, but thats doable. Without Butler, we don't match up so well against Miami, but that won't matter until June. If we get that far, he'll be back.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote