View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #21
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
A contender for what? The playoffs? Maybe.

He's overrated because, while it's getting better, many fans still see raw scoring output and equate it to greatness, without considering what players have to do in order to accomplish their numbers. It's what lead people to fantastically overrate Allen Iverson and Gilbert Arenas, amongst others.

Carmelo is certainly not the chucker that those two players were, but he is very near the bottom of efficiency for the elite NBA scorers.

He's a great player but I don't think he's good enough to be the best player on a championship team, and I think most NBA fans would disagree, which is why I saw he's overrated.

Oh, and if he goes to New York, he will combine forces with another overrated NBA star (for different reasons) to play with the most overrated coach, and become a juggernaut of overratedness(probably not a real word).
Thiggy... I think the overrated piece you are hitting Amare with has been fairly proven wrong (i.e. he was only good because of Nash). Dude has been pretty stellar this year. His shooting percentage is down, sure, but he is still shooting over 50%. His scoring, assists, blocks, and steals are also up.

As far as Carmello being overrated due to him not being able to be the best player on a championship team, well, isn't that subjective for a lot of the past championship winners? What I mean is, aside from maybe the Heat team that beat us and the Lakers recently where there is just a TON of overall talent but really only one true superstar, haven't all championship teams pretty much had two or three guys that are considered fairly equal in overall talent?

KG/Allen/Pierce
Duncan/Parker/Manu
Shaq/Kobe
Billups/Hamilton/Prince/Wallace

In my opinion, you can really only win a championship if you have an absolute freakishly awesome stud player (Kobe with a lot of help, Jordan with another top-50 player in Pippen, Wade + refs, etc) or with a number of them. Sorry, but an older Billups, oft-injured Nene, Terry-like streak shooter Smith, etc is not a cast like these past championship teams have had - yet he has still made them very good. It is really the KG factor.

NOW - if you put Carmelo on a team with Dirk, a guy that many would call an equal to him, you have started to build something special like these other teams have accomplished. Keep enough talent around them and you have an absolute tremendous chance at winning a championship.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-19-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote