View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #55
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Hmmm, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. The two points scored after an offensive rebound should be viewed as a separate entity in my book. I don't see it mattering much whether it came from the person who snagged the rebound, or it got kicked around to someone else who scored it. They key point is that the offensive rebound indicates that a possession which should have died out was suddenly given new life. So obviously it's important to note this on the stat sheet. Who scores off this resurrected possession doesn't matter much to me and seems to be a pretty separate question from where I'm standing.

I don't think this amounts to statistical clutter. The reason that you mark down offensive rebounds is that it gives clarity to why a team can shoot worse and still score more points. It's because they manage to grab their own misses and get points out of those possessions (and keep the other team from doing likewise). So a player that keeps the possession alive, and then somehow figures out a way to get the ball in the basket isn't being unfairly rewarded in my book. To me that's a pretty valuable skill to have.
You're looking at this from a slightly different angle. I was simply trying to discuss offensive rebounds and how they relate to evaluating two players.

Let's see if a non-real world hypothetical helps:

Players A scores 30 points every single game, hitting 15-30 shots. He grabs no rebounds and contributes no assists.

Players B scores 30 points every single game, hitting 15-30 shots. He grabs five offensive rebounds every game, which he converts into 10 points (accounting for five of his shots every game) and contributes no assists.

At the end of the season, here are their stat lines:

Player A: 30ppg, 0Rpg, 0Apg
Player B: 30ppg, 5Rpg, 0Apg

If you asked a hundred different fans who they'd rather have, who are they going to pick? But did Player B actually contribute more than Player A? No.

This, I think, illustrates my point well.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-20-2011 at 03:23 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote