View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #29
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
there was no way the knicks could have added Carmelo without giving something up. Even if they waited til the offseason in the slim hopes that carmelo didn't sign an extension and accept a trade to the knicks, Chandler would have been gone anyway (not re-signed) because of his contract status.

So now you're really looking at Felton vs billups/future pg and Gallinari vs Brewer/Fields.

i never said these guys weren't good players. They obviously are, which is why we're discussing it. But Fields will get more minutes (he can play SG/SF in that system easily) with gallinari gone and can easily duplicate gallinari's production (Fields is already shooting a better FG and 3P% and rebounding better). And of course Carmelo can far exceed Gallinari's production at the SF slot (PF if amare plays Center). And adding Brewer to that mix helps them a little on offense but definitely more on defense.

As for felton vs billups - this is a question mark for sure. let's see what billups does in the system. We know dantoni loves the 3-pointer and Billups can still hit the 3 better than Felton. Felton is obviously younger and has been playing well, but he's no stud. PG is no longer a barren position in this league, and the knicks can get someone else to run the team when Billups' time is up (or even before).

again, the key here is carmelo's desire for MORE MONEY. i am a firm believer he would be on the nets if the knicks didn't pull the trigger. Then the knicks lose out on Lebron AND Carmelo. plus denver wanted to trade so they get something back. Even if they did an off-season sign and trade (with a new CBA, who knows what Carmelo would have gotten here), the nuggets would still be asking for the same pieces.
Oh I agree. Melo was never going to be a free agent. It was either the Knicks trade for him now or later. He was never gonna be a free agent next season. I just think the Knicks overtraded for him but they had to if they wanted him. Knicks made a move they have to. The MSG will be packed as always and they will sell Melo jerseys. I get the move. I just think from a basketball standpoint the Knick's aren't going anywhere with this team. But a core of Amare and Melo is a hell of a core. I'll give them that. It'll be easier to build with that core than what they had before.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote