View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #2004
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Okay, that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. I guess it's possible, though I'd be surprised to see that come to pass.

The obvious point of reference is the contract Dallas passed on in letting Brandon go to the Magic, but it does seem to me like those situations are pretty different when you look closely enough, which is to say, dig a bit deeper than the 'undersized backup' characterization; the big point being the fact that Dallas would appear to need a proven NBA point guard, even a smallish one, much more than they needed a proven NBA PF back when Brandon was a free agent. Taking your cue and assuming the current rules, I think Dallas goes farther to keep JJB than they were willing to go to re-sign Brandon.
I think it depends on how they view Roddy, and how much longer they think Kidd will play. If Roddy isn't a PG, and Kidd's about to retire, do you really want to commit a decent chunk of money to player that, honestly, can't ever start for you?

If the Mavs had a starting PG that was going to be around a while, then I could see them committing to JJ as the backup PG/sparkplug SG. But given their current roster, I could see them passing on spending money on JJ so they can focus on finding an eventual successor to Kidd.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote