View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #27
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
JD said that they'd only put him in the rotation if they felt he'd be a guy that could win playoff games THIS season. He doesn't have to be lights out right away, but they have to feel like he will be before the season is over.

I don't think I suggested that this would be impossible - the point is he needs a season to learn. With a full season under his belt, he would definitely be dangerous in the playoffs - for the opposing team.

I think that's reasonable, and I think there is value in him getting another year in the bullpen if he's not ready this season. I don't think a year in the bullpen is a year lost on possibly starting. Experience against ML hitters is going to help, whether in the bullpen or rotation.

I am not saying a year in the bullpen is a year completely lost on possibly starting, but do you want him trying to learn a curveball with 1 on and a 1 run lead in the 9th inning? Let me help you - the answer is no. As a starter he would have a great deal more leeway to experiment and refine his 2nd/3rd/4th pitches. There is absolutely no denying that.

Being in the rotation would help MORE, for sure, but you have to balance the success of the team this season.

Again, if Neftali can't develop his secondary pitches in his closer role how will next year be any different from this year? Saying you have to balance the success of the team this season can be the exact same sentence uttered next year. Eventually you have to put a great POTENTIAL talent out to grow. It's time - wasn't that our slogan last year? Well, for Feliz, it's time.
Comments above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 03-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote