View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #1697
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

One of the hot topics as the Western Conference finals approaches is comparing the 2006 Dallas Mavericks to the current group that awaits the winner of Oklahoma City and Memphis.

The 2006 Mavericks went to the NBA Finals and many experts believe this team is on track to repeat that success.

Dirk Nowitzki, who is one of only two players that remain from the 2006 bunch, continues to possess one of the most potent offensive games in the league. On top of that, the 7-footer, who averaged 23 points and 7 rebounds during the regular season, has become a more consistent defender.

Comparing the Nowitzki of 2006 to the current 32 year old version has also garnered its share of attention.

While chatting on KESN-FM 103.3’s The Ben & Skin Show Friday, Nowitzki pointed out that his improvements in certain areas are just natural occurrences that come from experience.

One area where he can detect a slight change is in his leadership skills.

“I still pick my spots,” Nowitzki said. “I’m still not the most comfortable guy getting up there and holding a 15-minute speech, but certain things that I see, especially during the game, I address it sometimes with yelling, sometimes with just saying it.

“After the games sometimes I feel like I have to say something or before it and I pick my spots. I’m definitely more comfortable in that role than five-six years ago.”

During a lighter moment of the interview, Nowitzki reminisced about the time he walked in on former Mavericks coach Don Nelson sitting in a hot tub.

“Oh God,” Nowitzki initially responded after being persuaded to tell the story. “He actually was in the hot tub with his dog. The dog wasn’t running around, the dog was in the hot tub with him. … I don’t know, but it was awful.”

Superstars in the NBA usually have nicknames. Kobe Bryant is the “Black Mamba,” LeBron James is “King James,” Chris Paul is “CP3” and Kevin Garnett is the “Big Ticket.” Dallas fans have attempted to find a nickname for Nowitzki for years and the search has resurfaced.

After being called the “Ghostface Drilla” Friday morning, Nowitzki began to laugh.

“I like the Ghostface Drilla because I definitely look like a ghost,” Nowitzki said.

He added that he is a fan of the hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan , which has a member named Ghostface Killah.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote