View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... My first post... Was... Scary:

Quote:
While this message might at first seem as though it should be gracing Chiwas' eyes in the Lounge, please bear with me!

For starters, it has been a pleasure reading all of the opinions, facts, complaining, debating, arguing, humor, etc... from each of you. I have always been someone that I would consider a sports freak, in that I love/watch/attend the majority of them, but my baby is and will always be basketball. Im 22, obviously, and I have been watching the Mavericks for many years - back when good ol Scotty Brooks was running the court in his hilarious bowlegged fashion. I've watched the good and bad, and have been able to both vent and to be proud by coming to this board, (and LMF). So I just wanted to again say thanks, (a special thanks to all of those who are actually intelligent in their posts, including but not limited to: KG, Murphy, Dr, MFFL, and the recent EL - all of you offer a great deal to the board whether I agree or disagree with what you think).

On to my actual Mavs related post. I just wanted to give my two cents about the trade, the offseason in general, and the upcoming season, as well as to get any feedback/criticism from all of you. Lets start with the trade. I try not to allow myself to lose track of reality when talking about the Mavericks. I try to prevent myself from expecting more than is possible, simply because I WANT them to do good. But when looking at this trade, as has been posted so many times, I see more positives than negatives. We gain youth, athleticism, potential - (what a word around Dallas), and become a better overall team by reducing our two-holed starting lineup to a single hole. Even that hole COULD, and I want to re-YELL that, COULD ever so slightly get filled by a re-emerging LaFrentz/Bradley. Who knows what Fortson can bring to the table. I keep reading "BEAST" and "FORCE" and I want these things to be true, but only time will tell for sure. The same goes with Welsch. He is being compared to Dirk shooting-wise, and that in itself is a HELL of a compliment. Again, we will see. IMHO, I believe that at least two of the three will contribute greatly, with the POTENTIAL for all three to step in at some point. If all else fails, the tradeable Mills along with either LaFrentz, Bradley, or FILL WITH WHICHEVER PLAYER OUTSIDE OF THE BIG 4 ATTRACTS THE RIGHT TEAM should be enough around the trading deadline to bring in some sort of a defense first, offense second center that could make a descent impact on our team, (this is only needed if we can't get LaFrentz/Bradley to fill that Center void - again). Moving on...

Regarding our off-season in general, I don't think that we did that bad, and I don't think that we did that good: B with the potential for A-. While I overall agree with the majority of the people on this board about Zo's health, and the risk that would have been taken in getting him, I also must point out that a great percentage of you yelling this were the same ones begging for his arrival. I think that Zo, partial remission and all, would have been a great asset for us, if not the single best addition SIGNING WISE that we could have had. Lately though, it seems that he is being looked at as way less than he is, and I believe that is just bitterness talking. Come on everyone, lets be honest with ourselves... Zo will be the second best center in the entire NBA next year. The only question will be for how long, and I agree that it could be for a short time, as could it be a long time, but lets not say that the risk would not have been worth a measly exception. Aside from Zo, I think that Malone would have been a mistake, simply because of his age, style, speed, and position. The best he would have done was push Dirk to SF, and I would rather Jamison there with Dirk at PF. Now, if I could get all of my wants, then sure, have Malone as the greatest 6th man ever, and our current lineup, but again, lets be realistic. As far as what we actually did accomplish, I think for a 29th pick, we did the best we could. Howard could turn out to be a steal if he gives us the defense we need, as well as matures into a descent shooter that is smart when the ball is in his hands. The pickup of Daniels and Stephanson will give us some depth if one of our men goes down, but I can only see them playing if the game is way out of hand. Best was a terrific pickup for Nash, Um, I mean the Mavericks. He is a player that will be CONSISTENT, as opposed to outstanding/miserable. He is the exact point guard that I wanted us to get when we were desperate for Nash-relief. All of this, along with the trade, pushes us to a good B. I think if Welsch and Fortson can muster the ability and desire to achieve some serious PT, this off-season will be ranked right below the one that put Dirk in Dallas. Gotta love Milwaukee for that one! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Regarding the upcoming season, I see a lot of fun, high-tempo basketball, (very similiar to last year with the exception of our guards being raped by the opposing teams offense). But alas, I think our team will go out in the WCF yet again. Who takes them out you ask? Why none other than next years NBA Champions, the INSERT EITHER SPURS OR LAKERS. However, 05 will be the year I believe this team will be hoisting that trophy in the air. Can't you hear him? Can't you hear Nelson in his best Jimmy Johnson impression? HOW BOUT THEM MAVS!!!
Too funny...