View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #111
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
07-08 Kobe Bryant, Lakers 2nd place.
05-06 Steve Nash, Suns 3rd place.
03-04 Kevin Garnett, Timberwolves 2nd place.
01-02 Tim Duncan, Spurs 2nd place.

Obviously the cream rises to the top, but 40% of MVP's in the past 10 years don't fit the "best player on the best team" criteria - they were simply the "best player in the league" (which is a least partially determined by their overall body of work as a player, since it's not always easy to quantify...)
Without looking up the records (too lazy), if I remember correctly, with the exception of Nash, all those guys' teams were the best in their conference. Whoever wins the MVP almost always has the top spot in their conference or at the very least in their division. Take the best player on the respective top seeds in each conference, and the one that had the better individual season statistically is usually your MVP.

With regards to Steve Nash in 05-06... to this day I feel that was the biggest crock of bullsh*t in the history of the award. He had a nice season, but Dirk was so obviously the real MVP that year. As phenomenal as Nash was, I still feel he was more than a little overrated after going to Phoenix. The argument for him as MVP in 2006 boiled down to "HE'S DOING ALL OF THIS WITHOUT AMAR'E STOUDEMIRE!!!!" Guess what, media idiots, Dirk didn't have Amar'e Stoudemire either.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-25-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote