View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #1031
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Finally was able to get to the theater to see part 2 last night (in 3D). The 3D was actually really well done, especially considering it was a conversion. The scenes with the spells and the "shield" around the school were really cool.

All that said, my review of the movie itself:

I liked it overall (probably just because it was the finale), but my biggest complaint (may sound weird) is there was just too much action. It's like they were trying too hard to make it an epic finale in the vein of "Return of the King" or something. And that's not what Harry Potter is.

One of my favorite parts of the Entire book series is the Snape reveal. And here, it gets a short film montage sequence. It didn't convey the same emotion.

I also felt the film was severely lacking in exposition. I'm not asking for the end of the Matrix ("ergo, heretofor, etc"), but i can only imagine what people who didn't read the books thought. They must have been so lost. The snape stuff, the Aberforth stuff, etc.

But hey, look! here's some more giants beating the crap out of stuff! and harry and voldy flying around as black smoke!

Oh? Tonks and Lupin are dead? Well, here's a quick cut to them dead on the floor... Oh, and let's just mention Fred in passing...

Those horcruxes? eh, they're not so important. Look how easy they are to find and destroy! Cause Harry can feel them!

I thought DH part 1 was excellent in tone and pacing when compared to the books. This one just was back to being wrong again, like HBP.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-21-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote