View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #2433
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I just could not agree more. It's been and is a priviledge Dirk.

Quote:
Dirk NOWITZKI (Germany)
29/08/2011
Comments: 0

GER - Bauermann full of praise for Nowitzki
*(EuroBasket 2011) - Germany's chances of reaching the 2012 Olympics received a huge lift when NBA champion Dirk Nowitzki announced he would be playing at EuroBasket 2011 despite a short break following the grueling NBA season.

German national team coach Dirk Bauermann has always held Nowitzki in the highest of regards. But Bauermann has spent the final two weeks of preparations wildly praised the 33-year-old star for deciding to play for Germany.

"Dirk gives everything he has, he always gives everything he's got. I want to say it again, you have to remain realistic with the expectations and demands that you have," said Bauermann.

Germany open their EuroBasket campaign on August 31 against Israel - just more than 11 weeks after clinching Dallas's first NBA crown. Germany also play France, Italy, Latvia and Serbia in Group B.

"He had an absolutely mini-break. With this short break, I don't think any other athlete, in our sport of any other sport, who would have tried to play a European championship. I think that is such an unbelievable and praise-worthy decision. And it shows so much respect for the game, his country, the German national team," said Bauermann He even called it a "privilege" to watch Nowitzki.

"That we are allowed to be here and watch such a great athlete is a real fortune and a privilege," he said.

The German coach also called Nowitzki "the best role model a person can have".

"With all the accolades and the money, the fame and the popularity, he is so down-to-earth - just the most wonderful guy to be around. He just wants to play basketball and other than that just be left alone," said Bauermann.

Another thing that has impressed Bauermann is Nowitzki's willingness to help out with Germany's young players who will lead the team when the Mavericks star finally hangs up his shoes.

"What's surprising is how much Nowitzki is participating. Eleven weeks ago he won the biggest title there is in our sport. He rested for about two weeks. And now after every practice he works with (Philipp) Schwethelm, (Robin) Benzing, (Tibor) Pleiss.

"He's not the first one to go. He works on his game as well. And he helps the youngsters in their development. It doesn't really surprise me, but that he does it with such excitement is really great."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 08-31-2011 at 11:02 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote